San Jose, CA
I recently had one of the worst experiences ever with dealership service. Capitol Toyota of San Jose must be going through tough times, because they gouged me on a repair that I will never forget, and hopefully neither will you.
I have a Sienna van, which we use for carpool..up to six little kids at a time. Several months back, the automatic door stopped working. Big safety issue --- with automatic doors, when they break, they are too heavy for little kids to open. What did the dealer charge me to fix a cable? $2,000 !
That's the good news.
Last week, the door stopped working again. So, in my insanity I expected Toyota to honor the repair just months ago, and fix it. What did they do? Another $1,000 bill. The dealer wouldn't acknowledge their earlier work. They just said to pound sand. And when I picked it up, it *still* didn't work -- so I had to make another trip! What did they say they replaced? A little computer, a controller. So, after spending $2k several months ago, I got charged the price of a new iMac for a dumb little controller --- all of which only opens and shuts the door.
And of course I appealed to Toyota corporate service. What an even bigger joke. First they passed the buck to the dealer. Then it was passed back to them. Then they said they couldn't help --- why? (you'll love this...)
- They hadn't seen me coming by enough in the last couple years for service.. get that? they have charge me unreasonably now for service because I didn't spend enough in the past. Logic ? Did it matter that I was also doing my Lexus service at the dealer? Nooooo. Not her department.
- The corp rep, Jennifer Lee, said that it was out of warranty...okay, a door that was fixed 3 months ago already out of warranty... ?? Do *any* of Toyota's repairs come with an implied warranty ?
Toyota is gouging and abusing customers, that's clear. Capitol Toyota in particular is still living fat and happy, charging $700 for a computer part that must have a 20x markup.
- NEVER take your car for service at Capitol Toyota.
- DON'T BOTHER escalating to Toyota corporate service. It's a sham. They lend you their ear, and then tell you to pay the piper. They could care less about customer sat, even in these hard times. I even told them I was coming here and many other places to tell my story, and the Toyota rep said: "That's Capitol Toyota's problem". What a great team.
- WE SWITCHED to AUDI in the meantime. The service is WONDERFUL. They have better product than Toyota, are not as arrogant, and are still hungry enough to care about customer satisfaction.
If you are forced to go to the dealer for service, make sure you get them to write out the warranty for their over-priced service before you submit the vehicle. Otherwise, they are happy to take food off your kids' table and fund their own.