When I picked up my 3-year-old Kitty after surgery, the technician had placed the Fentanyl transdermal patch on her rear-upper leg. I found this questionable, but was so happy to have Kitty back. When I got home I researched the Fentanyl patch: A powerful narcotic drug -- toxic, even fatal if ingested! It should always be placed where the animal cannot scratch or bite it, usually on the back between the shoulder blades. The Fentanyl patch is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration! Needless to say, I removed the patch immediately, even although I was billed $32 for it (2007 price).
I had taken a couple cats to West Park Animal Hospital for routine exams before this incident. They employ a large proportion of very young (i.e., inexperienced) staff, likely as a source of cheap labor. I never encountered any personnel on staff over 30 years old. After the dangerous stupidity exhibited with Kitty's treatment at West Park, I found a nearby vet who employs several mature, experienced veterinary professionals.